Monday, February 14, 2011

SKI!

Greetings form Colorado! I am attempting to write this post on my iPad, which is incredibly challenging for someone with fat fingers (me!). So, excuse any spelling and grammar issues. I am sure there will be plenty.

So, yeah, skiing. So far, it's been a great trip...fantastic snow, lots of sun and GREAT company who can challenge me on the blacks. That said, the trip started off with a bit of a hiccup.....

I got into Denver on Friday night. My dad and the rest of my family decided to fly in Saturday, so I spent Friday night with my friend Wynand Dempers, a cool South African dude who recently moved from Houston to Denver. On Saturday morning, we headed out to Vail with Ty, Demper's friend from college. So far, so good - we woke up early so we missed traffic, stopped for delish coffee and even got discount lift tickets through Demper's season pass. By 9 am I had my lift ticket, caffeine in my system and was about to hit the slopes. Then, I saw....

MY SKIS WERE GONE.

Yes, gone. I had left them out when I went inside to buy my ticket (a common practice...everyone does it despite the fact that skis cost more than most people's rent) and when I came out they we gone. I found a Vail ski guy and he told me not to worry, someone probably mistakenly swapped skis and would be back soon when his error was realized. "Just sit tight and wait here for a few minutes." Ok, cool. Easy enough.

30 min. later and still no skis. Now I began to freak. If someone had accidentally grabbed my skis, he or she would have to know by now that the skis were the wrong ones...the likelihood of our skis being set for the same size boot was pretty slim, so he or she wouldn't even be able wear them. However, if they were stolen....well, that would explain why they hadn't been returned.

So, I start to cry. (yeah, yeah, I'm a sensitive cry baby. Whatever.) Fortunately, the Vail ski guy was awesome, and he got me a pair of comped K2 Rictors (awesome skis!) for the day. So I wiped away my tears away, took the comped skis and tried to move on.

By lunch, still no word on the skis. It was looking more and more likely that they wouldn't come back. But by this point I didn't really care....instead I was wondering: "Is there anyway I can afford these Rictors I'm on?"

But alas, as many of you know, I'm a lucky mama and by the time I finish my last run of the day at 4pm, the skis have been uncovered. Apparently, someone accidentally swapped my skis with his, even though they were different brands AND colors AND proceeded not to notice ALL day. Hmmm, right. The whole thing is weird.

But who cares. I'm just glad to have my babies home!

No comments: