Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thoughts on BA, Part 1

Hey folks,

So here I am, wrapping up my third day in BA. The city is incredible -- the European influence is hard to miss, and you guys know how obsessed I am with Europe.

The last couple of days have been a whirlwind. I've taken a Spanish lesson (although you would never know it...), eaten 2 ice cream cones, bought some gifts at the San Telmo "feria." taken in an art museum (the MALBA), hung out in one of BA's most stylish eateries (Bar 6 in Palmero), drank about 2 bottles of wine, and walked 'til I wanted to collapse (which I promptly did on my apartment's couch!) I have been very fortunate to have some friends of friends in town, so I have been tagging along with various people over the last few days. Although I do travel well alone, it is nice to not have to eat alone EVERY night!

Definite plans for the next couple of days include a traditional steakhouse, a city tour, Recoleta cemetery and coffee with an MHC alum. (When you travel alone, you have to reach out to EVERY connection possible!) Potential plans include a quick trip to Colonia, lots of shopping and a tango show – the shopping and tango show depend on what happens with the job situation (fingers crossed I get it!).

Internet is acting up, but photos will come soon! I promise!

PS – I heard that BA was no longer the discount traveler’s paradise that it used to be. Um, maybe if you compare it so the middle of Africa! I have been THRILLED with the prices thus far. Case in point – a trip to the grocery store today put me back 40 pesos, or about $11.50. What did I get for this? Let’s see – a bottle of NICE wine, cookies, three yogurts, a bunch of fruit, AND a few diet cokes. Dinner last night at a fancy Palermo spot was 60 pesos – or about $17 – for a HUGE meal, bread, bubbly water, and two big glasses of wine. Houston guys and gals (I MISS Y'ALL!!!), can you imagine going to Dolce Vita and walking out of there with a $17 bill??? Um, yeah, I think not.

No comments: